– 8 large eggs
– 1 tsp white vinegar
– 1 tsp sea salt
– 2 bunches asparagus spears, trimmed (about 40)
– 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 garlic clove, chopped
– 1 T unsalted butter
– 2 T fresh lemon juice
– 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
– Ground black pepper, to taste
– 4 T fresh Parmesan cheese, grated*
1. Break the eggs into 8 individual containers (such as prep bowls). Fill a large pan with water, and add vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Fill a second medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus spears, and cook 3–4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove asparagus with tongs, and set aside. Empty water from the pan.
3. Add olive oil to the saucepan, and heat over medium heat. Add garlic, and sauté about 1 minute. Turn off heat; add butter, and swirl pan. Add lemon juice, parsley, remaining salt, and pepper; swirl pan again to combine. Add asparagus and 2 tablespoons Parmesan; then toss with lemon-butter sauce to coat.
4. Slowly pour each egg into the boiling poaching water; cook 2 minutes. Turn off heat, and remove pan from burner.
5. Divide asparagus among 4 plates. Remove the eggs from water with a slotted spoon, 1 at a time and place 2 eggs on each mound of asparagus. Pour any remaining sauce over each serving, and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Serve immediately.