For the pesto:
- 2 cups kale leaves, packed (stems removed)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (or more for a smoother texture)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (or about 1/2 tsp. of each)
For the pasta:
- 2 – 3 large zucchini
- 1 – 2 T olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch the kale leaves in boiling salted water for about 3 minutes, transfer to a strainer and run cold water over them to stop the cooking. Once the kale is cool, squeeze out the excess water.
- In a food processor, combine the garlic, walnuts and pine nuts and pulse to chop. Scrape down the sides. Add the kale, basil, Parmesan, lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and pulse to combine. Turn the processor on and drizzle in the olive oil until you get the consistency you like. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Set prepared pesto aside.
- Using a vegetable spiralizer, make your zucchini noodles.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Add zucchini noodles, salt and pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until zucchini is cooked through but still firm.
- Toss zucchini pasta with pesto sauce and serve.